We do out-of-state adoptions, however they are rare, given the wealth of qualified applicants here in Colorado. When we do adopt out-of-state, it is typically to our neighboring states, or those that do not already have a Shiba rescue that serves them. To see if there is another Shiba rescue that serves your area, visit our Other Shiba Rescues page.
We will always consider out-of-state adopter’s applications if they are able to meet our requirements below:
- Out-of-state adopters must be within driving distance and willing to travel to Colorado to meet the dog. All members of the household, including any resident dog(s), must be present. If there are cats in the applicant’s home,they are not require to make the trip, however, only dogs that have proven to be good with cats will be considered.
- The applicant will be responsible for all travel expenses for their family, and for the adopted Shiba if they are approved. The applicant will also be responsible for costs incurred during their visit, including but not limited to transportation, lodging, and meals.
- Dogs will not be approved for adoption if travel by plane is required to get the dog home.
- Making a trip to Colorado does not guarantee that you will be approved for adoption.
- We do not adopt dogs to people we have not met, and do not ship dogs to adopters, by road or air, ever.
- A visit to, and inspection of, your home by a local volunteer will be arranged if possible, prior to your trip to CO to meet a dog.
Please note: Not all dogs are eligible for out-of-state adoption. Typically, our super shy/fearful or mill survivors, dogs that have special needs dogs, or dogs with behavioral or health issues are not eligible for out-of-state adoptions.