We do out-of-state adoptions, however, they are extremely rare. Adopting a dog out-of-state is a riskier proposition for both the adopter and the dog, because we are unable to follow our normal process for making adoption decisions. It also limits our ability to oversee the dog’s integration into their new home and provide the support we normally give during the adoption trial period required for all our dogs. Given that, we will always choose a qualified local adopter over an out-of-state adopter when possible to reduce our risk.
Out-of-state adoption applications will be considered only if they meet either of the following requirements:
- Applicant has adopted from, or fostered for, Colorado Shiba Inu Rescue (formerly Shiba Scout Rescue) in the past.
- Applicant has had a Shiba of their own before, as an adult. We will also consider experienced owners of like breeds including: Husky, Akita, Basenji, Chow Chow, and Jindo.
Qualified, pre-approved, out-of-state applicants must agree to the following conditions before meeting a dog:
- Applicants must allow a volunteer to conduct a virtual home inspection via video conference, or allow a local volunteer from another rescue to perform a home inspection on our behalf.
- Applicants must be willing to drive to Colorado to meet the dog. All members of the household, including any resident dog(s), must be present. If there are cats in the applicant’s home,they are not require to make the trip, however, only dogs that have proven to be good with cats will be considered.
- The applicant will be responsible for all travel expenses for their family, and for the adopted Shiba if they are approved. The applicant will also be responsible for costs incurred during their visit, including but not limited to transportation, lodging, and meals.
- Applicants must be willing to drive the dog back to Colorado to return the dog to us in the event that it does not work out for any reason.
- Applicants understand and acknowledge that making a trip to Colorado does not guarantee they will be approved for adoption.
Applicants that live in an area served by another Shiba rescue should apply with their local rescue. To see if there is a Shiba rescue that serves your area, visit our Other Shiba Rescues page.
Please note: Not all dogs are eligible for out-of-state adoption. Typically our super fearful puppy mill survivors, dogs with special needs, or dogs with behavioral or health issues are not eligible for out-of-state adoption.